About the job
We’re looking for someone to take on the role of Linux/AWS Systems Administrator. You’ll be very much hands on, as a Linux Sys Admin, helping to run a large fleet of cloud-based Debian Linux servers managed using Puppet. Standard software includes iptables for firewalling, OSSEC, Nginx web server, MySQL (often Percona), sometimes Apache, PHP-FPM, OpenLDAP, and much more besides. We’re ISO 27001 certified and, as you would expect, have a heavy slant on security of service. We also store our AWS infrastructure (which is most of it) in code, using Hashicorp’s Terraform, and we make extensive use of Jenkins and custom scripting for orchestration of systems and services.
As well as working on building and maintaining our Linux server fleet, you will also be heavily involved in sysops automation, orchestration and other scripting, often written in a mix of Python and Bash, helping to build our products and services.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Managing Debian Linux servers and their software stack with Puppet
- Managing private networks
- Ensuring infrastructure is secure
- Managing AWS layouts and services with Terraform
- Liaising with helpdesk operators to ensure timely resolution of issues
- Making recommendations for product / technology direction and development
- Designing and building new orchestration and automation
- Maintaining service documentation, alongside your colleagues
- Responding to emergencies within your given core hours
Our Systems team are based out of the UK and France, with contracting members in U.S. and Australian time zones, to provide around-the-clock cover for outages. Work predominantly focuses on client facing issues, client onboarding and server deployments, carrying out server updates, ensuring fidelity of backups, and so on. However, we’re increasing the amount of automation involved in all aspects of our work, so a proactive approach to working smarter would be of great value.
- Salary dependent on skills and experience
- £1,000 and 10 days/year personal development budget
- Largely home working
- Starting on 25 days holiday (plus public holidays)
- Laptop computer
You’ll be a self-starter and you'll need to have great people skills, because that’s the nature of our business - we hire people who like people. You'll report to the Head of Systems who is ultimately responsible for product decisions and service provision, but as a member of the systems team you will be expected to support them fully in their role, and generally share knowledge and expertise with other members of the team.
You’ll need a strong technical background and several years of experience in a hosting / sysops business or team. You’ll need to be very familiar with Linux, IP networking, Linux security tools, as well as infra and config management tools such as Puppet and Terraform. We assume Bash scripting is a given, but knowledge of scripting in Python and PHP would be an advantage, as would good knowledge of the AWS product range and other cloud providers
Just a few more practical points:
- You’ll need to have a passport and be willing to travel, but don’t worry, it won’t happen often
- You’ll have to already be a legal resident and eligible to work in either the UK, France, Spain or the Netherlands
- You’ll also need to be able to speak and write good English
- Wherever you’re based, ideally you should be near enough to good international transport links to make travel simple
- Please be aware we operate a 40 hour working week, as is standard in the UK